Church of the Nativity, San Rafael
Nativity is a small Episcopal Church congregation with average Sunday attendance between 30 and 50. The Church has four weekly services: Thursday Eucharist at 9:30 a.m., and Sunday at 8 a.m., 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. There is a monthly Evensong service on the 1st Wednesday of the month.
Except for special occasions, music is usually incorporated only into the 10 a.m. Sunday service, and the choir is active from September to June. Nativity has a wonderful regular choir of 5 women and one man, who are comfortable with anthems and hymn singing in a variety of styles. Not all read music, but all have good pitch and rhythm.
The congregation sings well and is comfortable with hymns from the 1982 Hymnal and Wonder, Love and Praise and is open to learning new hymns and music from other traditions. Nativity has a tradition of guest musicians (5 or 6 times a year), a budget for instrumentalists (brass or string quartet) on Easter and Christmas and expanded choirs on church holidays and other special occasions. There is a modest budget for procuring new music for anthems and special services.
We seek a part-time Organist/Music Director to perform the following duties:
- · Recommend music for Sunday morning worship to Priest in Charge.
- · Order new music and procure copyrights as needed.
- · Rehearse the choir one evening a week and one hour before the 10 a.m. service on Sundays.
- · Recruit (and inspire) new choir members from the congregation and the local neighborhood.
- · Play the organ and piano for the 10 a.m. Sunday service and special holiday services.
- Sunday music includes: Instrumental prelude and postlude, Choir Anthem, 3-5 congregational hymns, and liturgical service music (Gloria, Sequence or Alleluia, Sanctus, Fraction, Troparion, etc.). The congregation may sing a communion hymn, or the music director may sing or play solo instrumental music for communion.
Compensation is $1400/month gross salary without benefits. Average weekly commitment is 4.5 hours at the Church and other hours practicing and preparing for rehearsal.
Skills and Experience:
- · Strong organ and piano skills. (Organ is a well-maintained Rodgers Electric.)
- · 2 years prior experience required in a denomination with a liturgical tradition (Roman Catholic, Episcopal, Methodist, Orthodox, Jewish or Lutheran) and/or a willingness to intensively learn the Anglican liturgical tradition.
- · Familiarity with hymnody and service music appropriate to scriptural texts and liturgical function.
- · Strong choir leadership skill and experience.
- · Gift for inspiring congregational singing.
- · Strong soloist abilities and comfort with sight reading and sight singing.
- · Desire to grow a choir into a music program at a dynamic church.
- · Demonstrated ability to partner with clergy and lay liturgical leadership.
- · Comfort with a wide range of musical styles.
- · Ability to articulate a theology of worship helpful.
Applicants should send a letter of application, resume and names and contact information for three references (at least one a former church employer) to:
The Rev. Kirsten Snow Spalding
Church of the Nativity
333 Ellen Drive
San Rafael, CA 94903
Applications may also be sent by e-mail to Rev. Kirsten at: email@example.com.
Feel free to call with questions: 510-207-6346 or leave a message on the Church voicemail: 415-479-7023
The position will remain open until filled.